Wednesday, September 28, 2011

38 weeks

Well...the room is done, car seat installed, diaper bag packed (but not hospital bag...Im procrastinating), pack and play set up, swing put together, clothes washed...all we need is a baby boy. We are ready to go! We are getting so excited to meet this little one but it feels like its forever away. In all reality, its really close! I was just telling Brad the other day that I feel like a ticking time bomb. It could happen at any time. We are full term and if he were born today, it would most likely be with no complications and everyone would be happy but its best for his brain and lung development to stay in until NEXT Tuesday when we hit 39 weeks. The selfish part of me wants him out now...the mommy part of me wants him to stay in till his due date.

I am officially working from home exclusively. I get to sit around in sweat pants all day and talk to people on the phone on my couch. The dogs are loving it. They get to sit next to me and sleep all day instead of having to be in their crates. My last day of work is October 7th (next Friday). As much as I know we need the money, I would be perfectly happy to start my leave now. Its hard to commit totally to work when you are so excited about the future.

We have had some excitement this week but not on the baby front. My mom had her Gallbladder taken out a couple of weeks ago and hasnt been feeling well. She went to the walk in clinic on Sunday and she was so jaundiced that they sent her straight to the hospital. They thought she might have had a gallstone stuck in her bile duct so they admitted her and did a procedure yesterday to get it removed. When they went in there, they didnt find anything so they figured that she might have passed it. I spent some time at the hospital with her both Monday and yesterday and she definitely wasnt feeling well still. They decided to keep her again last night and see how she was feeling today. Hopefully she will get to go home tonight...I know my dad misses her at home. Im also hoping that they are right about her passing the stone. They are going to check her Liver enzymes today and see her body is doing everything right again or if something else might be wrong. I dont like seeing her in pain and not feeling well.

So we are on weekly appointments now. I have had 3 appointments since my last post. My 36 and 37 week appointments were uneventful. They didnt do any internal exams at all. Ive basically been told to slow down by the doctors. I guess I dont feel like I do all that much but the swelling in my hands and feet say otherwise. I feel like such a bum when I lay around the house. I dont know how people on bed rest do it (Im talking to you Lindsey McKinley! You are a CHAMP!). I want to be able to get up and get food and drinks...to go out to the store when I need it and to play with my dogs. I want to make sure everything is ready for the baby to come home...but thats too much. So Ive been spending more time on the couch (working from home especially) and less time running around. Anyway, between my 35 and 36 week appointment, I gained 8 pounds...8!!!! So I took my doctors advice and layed around the whole day after my appointment and weighed myself the next morning...I had lost 5 pounds of water weight. So I guess there is something to laying around.

My 38 week appointment was yesterday. I had my first internal exam since 35 weeks where I was not dilated and 50% effaced. I am now a fingertip dilated and 70% effaced. Yay for progress! She also mentioned that his head was REALLY low. Im definitely glad to hear that...Ive heard stories about people who end up with c sections because the baby never dropped low enough. C sections arent bad things...in fact it would give me 2 extra weeks of paid leave but in the ideal world, I would prefer an uncomplicated vaginal delivery. I will have another internal exam on Monday at my next appointment and hopefully we will have a little more progress. 

People keep telling me that I look great for being 38 weeks. Brad cant seem to figure out why I look so much smaller than other people. I figure its because I have a long torso and he has more room grow than a lot of people. I dont really feel that great...I kinda feel like a cow most of the time. I am REALLY hoping not to hit 200 pounds and but Im getting close.

How far along? 38 Weeks

Total weight gain/loss: 45 lbs...

Sleep: Ummmm...okay. I had a weird dream last night that work me up (not baby related at all) and it kept me up for an extra 45 min.

Best moment this week: Progress!!

Movement: I think he has turned around and is facing forwards now (Yay for no back labor!) so Im feeling more movement. My anterior placenta shields his hands but I feel his feet in my upper right and his head/body way down low.

Food cravings: Cherry Limeades, ice cream...I dunno.

Gender: Boy

Belly Button in or out? Out...but I can push on it and make it flat (his butt is right above my belly button)

What I miss: I was cooking dinner the other night and really wanted a glass of red wine to drink while I was cooking. But Brad wont let me...

What I am looking forward to: Feeling relatively normal again.

Milestones: Nothing really I dont think...hitting 38 weeks?

1 comment:

  1. Psst! After Baby arrives, having ONE beer on occasion is not only just fine, but also GOOD for breastmilk production. Not kidding. The yeast makes you make more. And one beer will not affect Baby at all. Neither will ONE glass of wine (sorry Brad!). ;)

    ReplyDelete